Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Syttende Mai

Oh what a day!  We have all been anticipating the 17th of May since before our departure and yesterday,  it was finally here!!  Syttende Mai is a day that is near and dear to my heart...a quick side-story before I continue on with accounts of the day.  Minnesota [my home state] had many Scandinavians settle throughout the area [I am sure it had something to do with them being the only ones who could tough out the COLD :)] Thus, with all of the settlers, the Scandinavian heritage was preserved - including Syttende Mai. When I was younger, I remember going to Hanska, MN to celebrate Syttende Mai - but not knowing really what I was celebrating.  I am happy to say though, that I now know!

Syttende Mai is a day filled with patriotism, family traditions, culture, and ice cream!  The day most closely resembles the 4th of July in the USA however there are MANY notable differences.  Throughout the day you will see a wide variety of national costumes - all from different parts of Norway.  Children are a main focus of the day, as opposed to the military [although there are some memorial remembrances throughout the day.]  The children from all of the area schools gather to march in the "Children's parade" where they wave flags, sing songs, and shout chants - each led by their school's "corp" playing traditional Norwegian songs.
[Tonsberg Children's Parade]

We began our day at the home of Harald & Venja's daughter.  Carsolina and I had the chance to meet their grandchildren and see them preparing for the day.  It was so special!  Afterwards, we went to the Tonsberg Children's Parade to watch their other grandchildren walk!  Followed by church and a WWII memorial at which Harald's brother-in-law Olav sang in the men's choir.  Olav has actually studied in Hibbing, MN of all places [my grandparents used to live there; it's a very small town in northern MN that not many have heard of.]  I am finding that the world is MUCH smaller than you think :)


[crowd gathered to watch the Tonsberg Children's Parade]

We went to another Rotary member's home for lunch and a quick nap.  Then off to Herman's [another Rotary member!] home where we all shared our stories from the day and then grilled out.  Our day rounded out with a trip back to downtown Tonsberg where we were given torches and walked through the street [I am sure you are all envisioning an angry mob resembling Beauty and the Beast] however this was not the case - it was quite peaceful. The walk ended down by the canal where there were fireworks & electronica music...a different combination than I am used to but I'll take it!

[Harald & Venja with their family]

I feel so lucky to have had the chance to celebrate Syttende Mai in Norway.  This was a day that I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Hibbing and Hanska!! You Minnesotan, you. Sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete