Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Leaving Larvik

Today was our last day in lovely Larvik, Norway.  Although the weather has been a bit cold, windy, and rainy - we have not been deterred from enjoying our stay here!  In fact, I have rather enjoyed seeing Norway through a "misty" lens.  It provides an alternate perspective that is actually quite neat [I am afraid however, that I may be the only one who has these thoughts.]

Each week we have been scheduled a half-day to ourselves...this was our Sunday morning.  A late start was welcomed by all [including my host family!]  Early afternoon, we headed down the road to Stavern.  This little city is home to a series of art galleries that see over 200,000 visitors during the summer months!  It is quite the happening place June-August.
 [Stavern]




 [Stavern]

The rain rolled in and we dashed to the cars.  Luckily Mother Nature took a break from the downpour as we arrived at Mølen.  An absolutely spectacular experience.  The whipping wind mixed the light mist was strangely peaceful.  Here on this rocky beach, I was stricken with the sad realization that my time in Norway is nearing it's end.  I guess the weather was a fine match for my mood.  

[Mølen]

 [Mølen]

Monday - we visited the Arts & Culture school as well as the Farris Hotel & Spa & today the Sjøparken [Sea Park] development. This small city is working hard to redefine who it is. Changing from and old industrial town - to a young, vibrant, business-oriented city. Larvik has much to offer - and it is inspiring to see an entire city full of vision and pride in what they can offer. I have no doubt that when [not if!] I come back to visit, this place will be transformed.

On a personal note - it has been a REALLY great week!  I have been staying with a wonderful couple [Ståle & Elin] who have been so gracious and made me feel so comfortable & at home.  Elin even took the time to teach me how to make my favorite treat [knekkebrød...more on that in a later post!] All of our host families have taken turns hosting the whole group for dinner on different evenings - allowing us the opportunity to relax, laugh, and just enjoy each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment