Monday, May 30, 2011

Bittersweet

Today has been filled with mixed emotions.  Part of me is ready to pack my bags and hop on my flight back to the comforts of home - and the other part of me is aching to stay for a few more weeks [or maybe even months/years!]  This month has been filled with once-in-a-lifetime experiences that I will never forget.  I have been so lucky to have had the opportunity to meet the most amazing people and see Norway from an insider's perspective.  I have learned so much while in Norway...and am coming home with a sea of ideas & information.

We concluded our trip today with a visit to Umoe - yet another innovative Norwegian company that is reaching out globally to expand their client base.  Our visit included a tour of one of their ships [the Skjold] and it was really interesting.  It is clear that Norway has excelled in the Maritime industry.

Our afternoon was left open to do some last minute shopping and to begin the packing process....ugh.  I am just not ready to leave!  We have a 6:35am flight in Kristiansand [which is about 45 minutes away from Mandal - which if you have done the math you realize that we will be leaving Mandal @ 3:45am!]

[Harald, me, Vibeke, & Kari]

I am so sad to say good-bye to Harald & Kari.  They have made my last week in Norway so great that it is making it all the harder to leave.  However I am confident that when I board that plane [in 6 short hours] that I will not be leaving Norway for good.  I have built so many relationships & lasting bonds with people here that I can't imagine not seeing them again.  And now I must stop with the reflection as tears are swiftly approaching.  This won't be my last post however...I intend to share from a more broad perspective what I have learned, what I will miss, and of course about the Norwegian food!  I am also looking forward to October [yep I realize this is a ways off] when the Norwegian team will be visiting our area!  Can't wait to repay the hospitality that we have received while here.

Great way to spend my birthday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment