Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's a small world after all...

Weirdest thing happened today.  In the tiny town of Mandal [our final destination] I felt as if I had stepped into the smallest world ever.  We were all invited to the home of Sissel, one of the Rotary club members [who has actually participated in a GSE trip to Alabama - but that't not the crazy part] for dinner.  Over casual conversation I posed the seemingly normal question to my soon-to-be host father "Is your club hosting a Rotary high school exchange student?"  To which he replied "No, but we did last year.  We hosted a young boy from MN."

How cool!  The natural follow-up question was "Which city is he from?"  It took him a moment to respond with "New Ulm."  NEW ULM?!  I must have heard him incorrectly.  My New Ulm?  Population 13,000 New Ulm?  It couldn't be.  Oh but yes it was true!  A young man [Henry] studied in Mandal last year.  He is actually my brother's age - and in fact they played soccer together when they were younger!  [I just got off the phone with him and they may even be playing soccer together tonight]

I am still stunned that I travel across the world and find this connection.  From little New Ulm to little Mandal I was shown that the world can be one degree of separation away.  I never would have thought waking up this morning, that I would be staying in the same room that a fellow New Ulmer stayed in one short year ago.

This entire month I have been finding ways to connect with people here [it helps that I am originally from MN which is like "Little Norway" in the US.]  It is comforting to know that the relationships that I am building now will last.  This trip has shown me just how important relationships are.  I have learned that we all don't have to be so disconnected.  We can all work together to make this a better place - the world is not so big.  As I fall asleep tonight, all I can think is "Isn't life funny?"

No comments:

Post a Comment