Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's been a while!

I realize that I have been a bit of a slacker in the "blog" department these past few days.  Take that NOT as a sign of a lack of stuff to update about, but rather a sign of how much fun we are having.  Our last city visit has been packed full of some really great activities.  Our families have been wonderful and I am not quite ready for my time here to be over.  This post will be brief [as I am a bit tired and need to be well rested for our last day here] but I want to share what we have been doing since arriving in Mandal.

I'm not typically a fan of the bullet points but I think I will take it this way tonight:
  • Carsolina, Jennifer, & I spent Thursday in Kristiansand at BI [the business school] This is actually one of the few private institutions and is a Business School.  The son of our current host family is actually attending this school right now.  
  • We also visited the southern most point of Norway - Lindesnes Lighthouse.  It was absolutely stunning.  The day was quite windy and a little rainy - which actually turns out to be the best lighthouse weather.  The crashing waves were a sight to be seen.
[Lindesnes Lighthouse keeper's house]

[Lindesnes Lighthouse]

  • Friday included a visit to Sjøsanden Næringshage - a place for entrepreneurs to come and receive guidance for their business venture.  This was followed by a very interesting tour of company that makes hoses - Mandals
  • We went out to celebrate my birthday on Friday [since we will be leaving SOOOOOO early on Tuesday] and had an absolute blast!  
  • If I have not mentioned this before...Norwegians LOVE the outdoors.  On Saturday we went for a "stroll"in Furulunden. Now when I say stroll - I actually mean walk in the rain...by the beach...where it was windy.  While the weather wasn't ideal, I have to say that it was a really beautiful place that I hope to experience again in the future - with the sun!  Later in the evening my host parents had everyone out to their summer cabin.  I was able to meet their daughter Vibeke who is so wonderful and funny.  The Skogøy family [ie: my current host family] are full of energy and laughs.  I feel so lucky to have gotten to know them over the past few days.  A really wonderful way to end my time here.
  • Which leaves me with today.  Today was incredible.  Again, we didn't let the rain deter us from our plans.  We visited WWII bunkers [legit bunkers - built into the mountains] and a fjord [for which I am going to have to get the name of.]  The WWII bunkers were surreal.  Equipped with rain boots and flashlights we dared to enter.  The German army used Norwegian & Russian laborers to build 40 buildings within the mountains in Mandal.  [pictures soon to come]
  • The fjord was breathtaking.  I would say that Norway may be best known for it's fjords.  A visit to Norway would not be complete without seeing one.  We drove about 1 1/2 hours through the very tiny & windy roads to see one.  When we arrived I was in awe.  I feel it is best to let the pictures do the talking [even though they cannot do the view justice]
[Fjord]

[Beautiful Fjord]


Ok.  So I recognize this is not one of my best posts - and I hope to revisit some of the activities in more depth later on but I wanted to provide a bit of an update.  Tomorrow will be our last day here in Norway - and it also happens to be my birthday!  I can't think of a better place to celebrate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment