Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rain, rain go away...if you don't, we'll have fun anyway!

Our last day with the Faerder Rotary Club included separate vocation visits for each of us.  I returned to Vestfold University College - while the other ladies visited a private hospital, an audit firm, and a public relations firm.  I cannot speak on behalf of the others [as I was not with them] but I had a wonderful day!  I will spare you the nitty gritty details that only my colleagues back home will enjoy - but my day included conversations with the employees within  SiV, the student parliament, and the international student office.  I have come away from the day with some great information for my friends back home!

The Faerder Club planned a sailing trip on the historical Berentine ship...mother nature had different plans for us.  Unfortunately, the rain was quite intense so we were unable to sail.  We did however have a great time below deck!  There were about 40 of us onboard and it was a great way to end our time in Tonsberg. I don't have any photos but I know quite a few were taken so I will post them at a later time!

Venja had hot chocolate waiting for us when we got back.  I must admit, I shed several tears as we were wrapping up the night.  I have to say that I did not come to Norway expecting to make such powerful connections with people in such a short amount of time.
[Harald, myself, & Venja]

We said our farewells this morning and then drove to meet members of the Larvik Rotary Club.  Our first stop was the Thor Heyerdahl school.  All of us were so impressed with the facilities.  I mentioned in a previous post but I will take a moment to mention it again.  The Norwegian school system is a bit different than the US.  Students are able to choose whether they want to pursue traditional education or vocational studies.  As we toured the school today, I was met by students engaged in their studies and an environment that encourages creativity. 

[Thor Heyerdahl School]

The rest of the day included lunch and walking tour of Larvik which ended with us meeting our new host families!  Larvik is yet another BEAUTIFUL Norwegian town that I look forward to learning more about.
[The home of Colin Archer]

[Larvik]

[Larvik]

No comments:

Post a Comment